Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mud Whimsy

Since opening my studio in November I've been working at trying to get my ceramic business going. Things are certainly underway now! I decided to call it Mud Whimsy. I've always liked the word 'whimsy'. The definition according to Dictionary.com is:


whim·sy Noun /ˈ(h)wimzē/
  • Playfully quaint or fanciful behavior or humor
    • the film is an awkward blend of whimsy and moralizing
  • A whim
  • A thing that is fanciful or odd
    • the stone carvings and whimsies

I felt like it summed up what I wanted to create with clay.... Unique, playful pieces. I didn't want to be constrained in a certain niche. I wanted a name that could allow me to create anything I want! Right now I have only functional pieces in the shop, but I'm really excited and inspired to make all sorts of clay creations!

You can find my shop on Etsy HERE.
And you can find my Mud Whimsy blog HERE.

P.S. While looking up the definition, there was a fabulous quote by environmentalist and writer Bill McKibben using the word 'whimsy':

"The point is not to stop giving; the point is to give things that matter. Give things that are rare - time, attention, memory, whimsy. "



No comments: